There are so many things to consider when building a website that often essential steps are overlooked. The small and free steps below will assist your website to be its best, helping your business grow online.
Whether your website is brand new or has been around for a while, an effective website should constantly be reviewed and improved. Take 10 minutes to confirm that you have covered the small stuff now by checking off these website basics:
- Submit your sitemap to Google Webmaster: Google Webmaster allows you to manage the websites relationship with Google. Submitting a sitemap to Google helps the indexing of your website content. When new content is added to your site, Google will be notified which will speed up its appearance in search results. You can also view the status of your websites indexing and be notified of any errors that may reduce your search ranking. Signup now: google.com/webmaster
- Set your Meta Descriptions: Meta Descriptions are 160 character descriptions of your website pages that appear in search results. Users often skim the search results looking for relevancy, when these are not set Search Engines will randomly select text from your page or blog. Set the right tone and clearly communicate your business purpose by adding a Meta Description for every page and blog post.
- Configure Google Analytics: Take the guess work out of your website investments, when deciding where to focus and how to improve use real world data to make an educated decision. Google Analytics is a free tool that tracks website visits, time on pages, demographic data and more. Signup for free and add the code to your website to start tracking now: google.com/analytics
- Remove broken links: As websites change and content is removed, links to other sites and pages will break. These broken links can contribute to a poor user experience by making your website look out of date and can cause frustration for users. Broken links are detected by search engines and may result in a lower search ranking as they may indicate a lack of relevancy and website maintenance. You can check for broken links for free now: brokenlinkcheck.com
- Speed and User Experience: A slow and clunky website is a sure way to turn website visitors away, just because your website is loading fast for you please don’t assume that’s the case for everyone. Gain an insight into your websites performance and a number of recommendations now: google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights
Bonus Tip: Are you mobile responsive? The way users interact with websites has changed, on average 30-50% of website visitors will be using a mobile or tablet device.
Search engines now favour mobile responsive websites; if your website is not mobile responsive you may rank lower than your competitor in search results. Just because you can see your website on your mobile does not mean it’s compliant, check the status of your website now: www.google.com.au/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/
Australian Business Consulting & Solutions are experts in digital marketing, we are here to help you succeed in growing your business online.